Hi NYS Families,
Thank you for all of your responses to our e-mail from Wednesday, 5/21. The COVID-19 situation was obviously a major topic of discussion during the Thursday, 5/22 NYS Board meeting. We are receiving input from our families, the Town of Mendon, USA Softball, and the state government. NYS is forming a COVID-19 committee to ensure we comply with all guidelines and do everything possible to keep everyone safe. Also, the full NYS Board will hold a special meeting on Thursday, 6/4 to assess the situation. We will be sending out more guidelines before any events are held. Our goal is to follow all regulatory guidelines and do everything possible to keep us all safe as we prepare to play softball again.
As we mentioned in the 5/21 e-mail, USA Softball of Massachusetts released a statement that said based on the state’s guidelines, we may be able to begin practicing as early as Monday, 6/8 and playing games as early as Monday, 6/29. The link to the statement is https://www.usasoftballma.com/news_article/show/1100149.
Since it is possible that we can be practicing again on 6/8 (two weeks away), NYS is going to begin the process of organizing our summer teams. At this time, we have opened registration for the summer season. If you are interested in playing or coaching this summer, please go to www.nipmucyouthsoftball.com and click the “Click Here to Register” pane and register for summer softball.
There will be some differences with the registration process for summer this year.
- All girls born in the years 2005-2015 may register.Our goal is to have as many girls playing as possible.We will try to field a U14 team (2005-2006 birth years).And our U8 team will allow any girls that were at the spring T-Ball level to participate (the U8 team will be 2011-2015 birth years).
- We will not collect a registration fee at this time.Instead, we will ask everyone to register now and we will assign and collect a fee as the season gets closer.Unfortunately, we are not sure what types of games we will be playing or if we will be playing in any tournaments, so it is difficult for us to determine a fair fee at this point.The fee will not be any greater than summer fees in previous years, and it will likely be less.There is a question that will be asked during the registration process that covers this – please respond “yes” to it.Please let the NYS President John DiAnni (email@example.com) know if you have any questions.
- We will deduct any money that you paid for the spring registrations from your summer registration fee.And we will also deduct a pro-rated amount of your Winter Clinics registration fee from your summer registration.If you would prefer us to refund your spring and pro-rated Winter Clinics registration fees immediately, please send an e-mail to John DiAnni.This is in line with our 4/22 message “NYS Spring/Summer Season Update”.
- During registration, you will be asked if you are willing to practice during Phase 2 of the COVID-19 re-opening (currently estimated to be 6/8).If you would rather not start practicing that soon, please indicate when you would be willing to start participating.We expect there will be many families that do not want to participate immediately on 6/8 and that is OK.We want to make sure we have an estimate of when we can expect girls to be comfortable participating.Please register if you are interested in playing at any time during the summer.Registering does not commit you to starting on 6/8.
- There is also a question about uniform jerseys – please indicate if you do not have a uniform jersey from last summer or fall.We know many of you placed an order in March – we are expecting those shortly.We want to make sure we know which girls will need a uniform jersey.
Please contact the NYS President, John DiAnni (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions. Our goal is to have as many girls as possible playing softball this summer. We will follow all guidelines from the state, USA Softball, and the town to ensure that the players, coaches, and spectators are as safe as possible.
The NYS Board